Investment Date: January 2022
TBAuctions is a leading industrial online auction platform and marketplace for second hand and second chance goods.
The company was created in 2018 via the merger of two established businesses, Troostwijk Auctions (B2B auctions) and BVA Auctions (B2C auctions). It auctions movable and immovable goods on behalf of third parties through ATLAS, its proprietary IT platform for intelligent auctioning (IA). With over 13,000 auctions/3 million lots per year and over 10 million website visitors per month, TBAuctions is one of the largest online auctioneers in Europe. Core verticals include Construction, Transportation & Logistics, Agriculture, Consumer, as well as Medical which was recently added via acquisition.
TBAuctions plays an important role in the global move towards a circular economy. Sustainable consumption – which TBAuctions is actively driving through finding new homes for second hand and second chance goods – is at the heart of the global ESG agenda.
+3m lots auctioned annually
+120m website visits annually
+500k unique bidders
Castik Funds partnered with management to support the next growth phase of TBA. Management and Castik will continue to strengthen TBA´s excellent market position within existing geographies and verticals, while accelerating organic growth and increasing the pace of add-on acquisitions to build the leading pan-European auction house.
A key element to success will be the state-of-the-art, scalable IT platform called ATLAS, which enables the business to scale and integrate future acquisitions across Europe seamlessly.
- State of the art auction platform called ATLAS
- Excellent reputation within today’s core markets
- Strong underlying growth driven by healthy underlying market growth of used equipment sales, a continued shift towards auctions as a channel, and growing online penetration
- Platform effect: Highly defensible business model due to importance of network effect of a platform creating strong entry barriers for new providers
- Large, diversified and sticky seller and buyer base
- Fragmented competitive environment with room for consolidation